At Kids Helping Kids (KHK), our mission is to develop leadership skills through youth-led service projects. We empower students to have a proactive attitude toward change by taking their passion and turning it into action. Every project is initiated, managed, and led by youth. This unique approach shows students the power they have to make an impact in the world and in the lives of others. KHK is guided by the following model:
- YOUTH-LED: Adults provide support, but youth are accountable for and genuinely committed to the project’s success.
- PASSION INTO ACTION: Youth explore issues they care about and share their personal interests to create purposeful projects that support the community.
- PLAN, IMPLEMENT and REFLECT: By coaching youth through the stages of project development, KHK helps them to develop 21st Century skills in communication, relationships, collaboration, critical thinking, decision making, initiative and self-direction. We align our skills focus with recommendations from CASEL and the Forum for Youth Investment.
- PARTNERSHIPS: We partner with other reputable and local nonprofit organizations that work to address the needs of children.
Our vision is to help meet the needs of our community while fostering personal growth within our volunteers and teaching them social responsibility. By developing leadership skills and encouraging community engagement, we instill critical knowledge: communication skills and empathy needed to enable the next generation to flourish. As KHK grows, we hope to expand our reach to help kids realize their full potential as leaders and change-makers.
Our staff works closely with every volunteer in order to help them through the project management process and to provide the necessary tools to become a stronger leader. Here is how we do it:
Our staff acts not only as leadership coaches to our student ambassadors but also as mentors. We create a safe space through positive and uplifting interactions in order to connect with our youth and act as positive role models. Our staff has a genuine interest in the volunteers' success and well-being. In addition to leadership coaching, our mentors can be a resource for academic and professional endeavors. We pride ourselves on offering support and enthusiasm around the important decisions our ambassadors may be faced with. Volunteering with KHK is like joining a family and that family will continue to inspire, uplift, and empower each member as they work towards a bigger and brighter future.
- Volunteer fills out Spark-a-Project worksheet and sends to Program Staff
- The volunteer meets with Program Staff a total of 4 times to prepare every piece of the project alongside a mentor
- To create a safe and inclusive place for youth to work collaboratively to design, lead, or participate in a service project
- To empower our volunteers to recognize their unique potential to make an impact
- To cultivate the development of these 21st century skills: